in honor of the hokies snapping out of their little losing streak, i am honored to share these delightful cookies and my best of the best sugar cookie + icing recipe.
the best rolled sugar cookies
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
5 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
01. in a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. beat in eggs and vanilla. stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
02. preheat oven to 400 degrees. roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets (i like to line my sheets with parchment)
03. bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. cool completely
sugar cookie icing
(the kind that dries hard and shiny, and the colors stay bright!)
1 cup confectioners sugar
2 teaspoons milk
2 teaspoons light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
assorted food coloring
01. in a small bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. if icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.
02. divide into separate bowls, and add food colorings to each to desired intensity. dip cookies, or paint them with a brush.
a perfect sugar cookie for christmas, or any holiday! this recipe cuts in half very easily. i wish you a wonderful first-weekend-of-november.