friday afternoon was spent inside plowing through work, with the sweet smells of granola filling the kitchen. this was my first go at the beloved snack... a longtime to-do of mine. i happened upon this recipe from katie did, and followed it with no changes other than dividing it in half. quite delish in a bowl with milk, alongside yogurt and fresh fruit... even atop ice cream. the original recipe is yields a large amount, perfect for packaging prettily and delivering to a friend.
10 cups old fashined rolled oats
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups wheat germ
2 cups coconut
1.5- 2 cups chopped pecans and sliced almonds
4 tablespoons vanilla
1/2 cups water
2 cups honey
1 cups (or less) oil
01. mix dry ingredients in large bowl and set aside.
02. mix wet ingredients in separate bowl, add to dry ingredients and combine well.
03. spread in shallow pans (i used jelly rolls)
04. bake at 250 degrees, stirring gently every 15 minutes or so, approximately 2 hours.
05. remove when golden brown and almost dry, let cool. store tightly covered.
i love the simplicity of this recipe, leaving room to add raisins, dried fruit and nuts at your leisure. do you have a tried and true granola recipe? i'd love to hear.